Premiere: 2026
Country of origin:USA
Director: Heidi Mikac, Caitlin Skinner
Writer: Heidi Mikac, Caitlin Skinner
Production Companies: Flick Street Productions, Heidi Mikac Films
Distributor:Heidi Mikac Films
Genre: Psychological Drama
Runtime:
1h 28min
Starring: Heidi Mikac, Caitlin Skinner
Finally, I got the chance to see a movie by Heidi Mikac. I have seen many of her posts on social media as I have followed some of her projects, so I was very curious to finally watch one of her films.
Written in the Light is a powerful and deeply sad movie. The story begins with Skyler losing her father, an event that sets everything in motion. The movie is about grief and how people deal with a loss that feels impossible to process.
Skyler already struggled with eating problems before her father's death, but after the loss, everything starts spiraling into dangerous territory. Watching her struggle with pain, confusion and self-destruction was genuinely difficult. The movie does a good job showing that grief does not always look the same for everyone. Sometimes it turns inward and becomes something much darker.
The mother is also an important part of the story. She is trying everything she can to protect her daughter while also dealing with her own pain. It creates a very emotional situation where you can feel that everyone involved is trying their best, even when there are no easy answers.
Skyler is played by Heidi Mikac herself, who is also the writer and director of the film together with Caitlin Skinner, who plays Skyler's mother. Both performances help sell the emotional weight of the story. The movie feels very personal, almost like you are watching someone go through a real struggle rather than just following a fictional character.
There was also something nostalgic and melancholic about the film. It reminded me of the kind of dramatic television movies that were shown when I was younger. At the same time, Written in the Light has some surreal moments that add a more unsettling feeling. Some scenes are almost dreamlike, but they also become frightening because they show what is happening inside Skyler's mind.
As the movie continues, it goes deeper and deeper into despair. The emotional darkness starts moving into the same territory as Requiem for a Dream (2000). This is not a lighthearted movie. It is a difficult watch that wants you to sit with uncomfortable feelings.
The reason this movie affected me so much is because the story feels very close to reality. I have my own experience with losing my father, sadly to cancer, something that is still difficult for me to deal with. I have also worked with young people who have struggled with similar problems shown in the film. Because of that, this story never felt like just fiction. It felt real. The pain, the confusion and the struggle felt like something that could happen to someone around us. This was a movie I could feel in my soul.
Written in the Light was created through an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign by Heidi Mikac. The campaign raised $1,212 from 24 backers toward a $15,000 goal. I do not have information about whether additional funding was collected through other sources.
One thing I liked about the campaign was the way backers could become part of the movie. The perks included things like signed physical editions of the DVD or Blu-ray, signed posters, having your photo appear in the movie, name mentions in the credits, voiceover roles and walk-on roles.
I like when independent filmmakers find ways to include supporters in the creation process. It creates a stronger connection between the audience and the film. There were also some fun and unusual perks. I noticed some rewards included merchandise from other movies, such as posters and even a Home Alone cup, which was a little unexpected but also kind of charming. One perk that caught my attention was "shadow the director for one day". I assume this meant spending time following the director and seeing how the filmmaking process works behind the scenes. For aspiring filmmakers, that kind of experience could probably be very interesting.

Written in the Light is not an easy movie, but it is a meaningful one. It is a story about grief, pain and the struggle to find a way forward when life changes forever.
The movie stayed with me after the credits, not because it was trying to shock me, but because it felt honest. Sometimes the most powerful films are the ones that remind us of real human experiences.
A prequel is also in work called Written in the Dark.

7/10
For
excellent performances and a strong sense of realism from the actors.
The emotional struggle feels very believable, making the characters and
their pain feel real rather than just like a movie story. I can
definitely see this movie being shown in schools as a way to create
awareness and start conversations about these difficult subjects.
Links:
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32252459
Original Indigogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/en/projects/heidimikac-37872580/written-in-the-light
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61576241825482
Article written by: Sonny Mikszath
No comments:
Post a Comment